Topic 6: Practicing black allyship
Welcome and Introduction
We encourage you to subscribe to our YouTube channel so that we can continue these conversations even beyond this week.
We would like to get a sense of who is attending this training, your motivations for doing so, and how we can best help you achieve your goals. Please complete the survey below prior to the start of the training. If you are registered for the full week or multiple days, you only need to complete this survey once.
Introduce models of Black allyship and activism
identify skills and resources that facilitate continued growth as Black ally and Black racial justice activist
Commit to developing action and accountability plan related to Black survival and wellness
Participants will be able to
Describe various types of Black allyship and activism;
Delineate and prepare for varying risks and consequences associated with practicing different forms of Black allyship and activism;
Identify critical sources of scholarship on Black allyship and activism;
Name their feelings and sensations related to practicing Black allyship and activism;
Explore the relationship between Black allyship and activism and self-care in order to continue to support Black lives;
Assess your lanes for Black allyship and activism and develop a plan to act and be held accountable in the process.
1. Review goals and objectives of Topic 6
Watch Day 6 welcome video Intro video and Meditation.
3. Watch the pre-recorded lecture on “Practicing Black Allyship and Activism” (video above)
4. Pause the video at 1:48:35 and view "Unfiltered: Reflecting on Black Allyship and Campus Activism at UK" (video below)
5. Then return to the lecture on “Practicing Black Allyship and Activism” at 1:48:35. The remaining part of the lecture will provide guidance for completing your assessment, action, and accountability plan.
6. Complete your Assessment, Action and Accountability Plan during or after watching the final part of the lecture.
7. Submit your plan to Academics for Black Survival and Wellness via email or the link provided in the template.
8. Use the accountability questions to facilitate check-ins with your accountability group or for your personal reflection.
Unfiltered: Reflecting on Black Allyship and Campus Activism at UK
Recap: Remix Roundtable 6
In this "Remix Roundtable," we hear from Garrett Ross, Dr. Della V. Mosley, Dr. Anneliese Singh, Dr. Hannah Bayne, Pearis Bellamy, and Adania Flemming about allyship and activism.